Well, I've been away from DHEC for about two weeks now, and life has slowed down enough for me to reflect.
My last day was a beautiful one. The building? Not so much. It kinda looks like a prison. Many states have built new public health labs. You know, the states that value public health and the important role that the laboratory plays in it. Let me reassure my SC friends - this place does great with the resources it has. It is full of really sharp scientists that are, I believe, as good as any public health laboratorians in the country.
The stairs I climbed every morning - even when 8 months pregnant.
When I arrived 9 years ago, I actually stored some files on these. Yow! You can't even find a computer with a floppy drive anymore. Needless to say, it was easy to toss these in the trash.
A Bible verse pinned to my board. A good reminder of who's in charge. I will never understand God's ways, but I've learned that they're always perfect. Now, do I remember that on a daily basis? Um, no. That's why it's pinned to my board, people. I've carried this verse around since my Shandon Bible Study days. What a wonderful time in my spiritual life. Here's hoping the move to Greenville can rekindle that.
Moving out. Me. In front of my office door. My new office? Easily 1/4 of the size of this one. Hello closet. Thank goodness for that mini Keurig that the lab folks were nice enough to give me as a going away present. Luckily I'm low maintenance, but I will miss my nice office. Even if it didn't really have a window.
And then there is the thing I'll miss most about the move: friendships. These are some of the folks that showed up for my going-away night at the Flying Saucer. And please let me take a moment to tell you about them, because they're special.

Beside me is Megan, energetic mother extraordinaire (to four!!), public health student (crazy person), PTO chairperson, SC food microbiologist (the only one), and glutton for punishment (always taking on new tasks when her plate is stacked). Megan has become a great friend since we stole her from the Clemson Vet lab many years ago. I love the stories about her crazy kids and she offers me support with mine and doesn't even know it. I can't count how many times I've been struggling and thought to myself: "If Megan can do this with 4, I can certainly handle it with 2!" Next to Megan is Christy. Christy has just become a supervisor, and she is going to be awesome! Well, she already is, but is learning some hard lessons early. I'm not worried about it - she's a go getter. She also has more animal health issues than anyone I've ever met. I mean, I've spent my fair share of money on our pets, but she seriously takes the cake. Cat on heart meds? Check! Dog with an ear bitten off by the neighbor's dog? Check! It gets crazier, I've just lost track of all of the issues. She also seems to be able to wrangle Megan's children pretty well for being a young, newlywed.
Ok, behind Christy is Amanda. Amanda manages two lab sections that we merged into one. She's the kind of colleague you want - takes the bull by the horns and gets stuff done. Doesn't complain about the meager pay she gets to run two labs, whips the select agent labs into shape, stays late (read: spends the night), is on so many panels, committees, and faculties (for CDC) that I've lost count. Reliable. I like that. And... she has a little girl who is adorable and Kate just loves, Nicole. Amanda is a good friend who has certainly laughed and cried and shared life's many ups and downs with me over the years. Across the table from Amanda are Shea and Tammy - the TB superheroes. Love these two because they are fun and funny and easy to work with. And no-nonsense. They do a darn good job of keeping the TB nurses in shape. In front of Tammy is her husband Bruce. He looks after the lab building and makes sure it runs like clockwork (which it does). He's the guy I called whenever I needed anything done - moving labs, moving offices, repairs. And he patiently listened to all of my crazy kid stories. And last over there is Lynn. Lynn is the head bioterrorism tech and is always hooking me up with personal trainers. Without her I would have never lost the baby weight. Her daughter is a beauty queen - I hope she'll keep sending me pictures when I'm gone.
Not included in this photo are my epidemiology friends who showed up - Dan, Dana, and Marya. I can't say enough good things about those folks. A second family. Luckily, I will still probably be in touch with all of them in my new job.
And so, now I'm just hanging out, cleaning the house, painting, packing, and Christmas shopping. I've enjoyed being able to take the kids to school AND pick up. I got a phone call today about a surprise inspection and I have to say that I did not miss going through that. I do not miss the personnel issues that I was dealing with. I do not miss grant reports and budget writing. I do miss the friends I've made over the past 9 years, but I can keep all of those, right?





1 comment:
What a wonderful support group you have had! Hope your new job will greet you with open arms---you're pretty awesome yourself!!
Post a Comment