Friday, April 26, 2013

The Ears Have It!

Well, we finally gave in.  After 3 ruptures of one ear drum, it became clear that tubes were in our future.  Luckily, we visited the doc on Tuesday and were scheduled for the first surgery on Thursday morning. So the plan was to show up at 7 am, surgery at 8:30 and outta there by 9:15. Nan came to keep Mason after the surgery while I went back to work. Well, you know about the best plans - they're made to be broken.

No food or drink after midnight. No problem! We were worried that Mason would cry for his bottle... and he did ask for it a couple of times... but overall he rode happily to the doc at 6:40 am.  As we are pulling into the parking lot Mom says: "Mason has something in his mouth!!"  I hopped out of the car and ran back there, told him to spit it out, and he said "No! No!" And then the goldfish (or whatever it was) were gone. And now I know to clean out the carseat of all food for trips to outpatient surgery.

So no big deal, we'll just tell the anesthesiologist that he ate a gold fish cracker and life will go on as scheduled.  Look how happy and angelic:


And when I told her she said: "Hmm.. I need to think about that." Mom and I looked at each other wide-eyed. After some consultation with her colleagues, they decided to delay our surgery TWO HOURS. Awesome. Because I was hoping I could spend two extra hours in outpatient surgery with my 2 year old. I hate it that I'm honest. Think of all the kids that probably had whatever they wanted for breakfast before this simple, 10 min, no IV, no tube down the throat surgery.  So... Mom and I were a great tag team. There were a lot of wagon rides.


There was some iPad time.


Some snuggling.


Some crawling on the floor meowing like a "meow meow."


Minutes passed like days, but we made it through. Honestly, he did awesome for a kid that had no food or drink until 11:00 am.

Recovering.


And how is he now? Judge for yourself:

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Love that boy! No food from 8:00 the night before until 11:00 am the next morning---I would have been very hard to deal with. He was so good!