Monday, April 08, 2013

Weekend Adventures

Finally!! It has warmed up! And that means we were out and about - in my favorite city, and enjoying our new city.

Friday night we dropped the kids at Nan and Pop's and headed down to Charleston for the Cooper River Bridge Run. The plan was to train for the month of March before running a 6.2 mile race, but the weather didn't cooperate, and so we ended up kind of not training at all. I think we ran twice in March. Each time a couple of miles, but no more than three.  We got up silly early for this nonsense. It was cold.


We waited in the cold in a very long line.


And then we took a (very warm) bus ride over the river to the starting line. The sun was just coming up.


We made it to our corral. I've never been in A. It was awesome. There was no one to trip over at the start. I do remember getting passed a lot.


And we both survived. Strangely enough, it was not my worst Bridge Run ever. My slowest time was 1 hour 6 min. That was 13 or so years ago. I was 25. Not sure how that is possible, but it is. This year I ran a 57 min race and Don was close behind me. We rewarded ourselves with dinner at The Wreck - our favorite restaurant in Charleston.


Then we grabbed the kiddos and headed back to Greenville. I'm not kidding when I say that I would put the parks here up against any.


It's spring!! Flowers everywhere! And Pollen. Let's try not to think about that.




We found this airplane along the Swamp Rabbit Trail. This is a memorial to Major Rudolf Anderson, a Greenville native who served in the Korean War. He was the only American fatality in the Cuban Missile Crisis.  He died when anit-aircraft shrapnel hit his plane.  


Mason loved the plane.


The walk back.


 And a snack downtown.


Mason looking down on the street from our table:


We also managed to squeeze in some house shopping. It's not a popular activity for the kids.  We tried to call it an "adventure," but Kate caught on quickly.  "Nooooo. There are too many houses!"  We've found one that is more interesting than the rest, and are going to see it again tomorrow. The kids went bonkers in the back yard - which is big enough for lots of running, skipping, dancing, and whatever else you'd like to do.

Today we came home and enjoyed the weather.

Mason enjoyed riding the pink princess bike.

 

Kate went "swimming."  She does this lately. Some mornings while I'm cooking breakfast, she'll go and put on her bathing suit. What the heck? At least she was fully clothed in the front yard. I'm also loving the hat she outgrew 2 years ago.

   

Here they are. I managed to snap a shot in the .0034 nanoseconds that they were both looking at the camera.



1 comment:

Dianne said...

Never a dull moment in the Meredith household. LOVE those two kids!!!