Typically I'm asleep at 1 am. And I will probably regret that I'm not at about lunchtime tomorrow, but for the moment, I'm downloading photos and eating Special K. You're envious of this rock-star life that I lead, aren't you?
Maybe if you don't talk to me in person or aren't on Facebook, you aren't aware that my boss/mentor/friend, Dr. Art Wozniak, passed away unexpectedly last week at the age of 64. And tomorrow I am going to be speaking at his memorial service. I think. His wife asked me to speak and, well, you just don't say no to that. I don't really have any reservations about the actual speaking, but I'm a scientist. I speak about viruses and bacteria and other nefarious wee beasties... memorial services just aren't really part of my repertoire. If I can only hold it together for the 5 or 10 min that I have planned. And then, holy cow, what to say? I also don't typically read a script - I talk from an outline - but I have this one all printed out. I'll probably know most of it when I get up there, but just in case I start to lose it, I thought I should be prepared. I'll let you know how it goes. Just don't expect me to join any motivational speaking circuits any time soon.
Ok, what else? Kate got a new bike:
You know that you love your child an awful lot when you buy them a bike that is this hideous. But she LOVES it. She wants to sleep with it close by at night. Yeah, she might get that from Daddy. Today I was Cinderella and she was Sleeping Beauty.
Mason continues to work on being ridiculously cute. This is most certainly some sort of evolutionary survival tactic for when he's being difficult.
It is so much easier to get a picture of him smiling at the camera. Not like Kate at all. You guys really can't appreciate this because she is looking a the camera in most of the pictures that you see here. Rest assured that those shots document the only times she is looking. Mason? He'll cross the room when you get the camera out. Here he is looking a little camera crazed.
And he walks just about everywhere now. Once he figured out how to take a few steps, he almost completely gave it up. A few short weeks after taking his first steps, he now can turn around, squat down and stand back up, and stand up without holding onto anything. He will be jumping from the countertops within the month.
I think I just killed the fly that landed on the computer screen. It is hard to tell because I'm sitting in the dark, but at least he didn't land in my cereal bowl. Oh yeah. Found him. One must be careful nowadays to make sure that these bugs are located. Mason will eat anything off of the floor. What!? I just looked up to see another fly and then I noticed that it was the same one as before - I must have just stunned him.
Ok, I know all of this random talk of killing flies and eating cereal is exciting, but I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow and I should probably turn in.



3 comments:
Always love to read your blogs. Will be praying all goes at the memorial. Love those two happy kids!
I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's passing. You are a thoughtful, loving and compassionate soul so I'm confident you'll find the words to bring comfort to his family. Scientists can be sensitive too!
Love Kate's princess bike!! At least we don't have that issue. Just a million and one pieces of sports equipment, oh & trucks/cars/planes, etc.
Jenny, I'm so sorry for your loss!! I know that it will be hard, but you will do a great job at his Memorial Service.
Post a Comment