Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Refreshed

How long has it been since I’ve been alone for 6 days? A very long time. I don’t even remember when. Maybe when Don was in Asia well before Kate was born. And… it was nice. Don’t get me wrong. I’m SO excited to be able to hug Kate tonight, to listen to her say O-Hi-O and read her a story. Can’t wait! But, this trip has been very therapeutic. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in being a Mommy and a wife and a Microbiologist (when not doing the prior two), that I look at the world differently. Maybe it’s because I’m an only child that I enjoy quiet time alone so much. It’s a time to slow down, reflect and listen. I’m feeling quite refreshed.

So… what does this gal do to feel refreshed? Here are the top 10 things I did in Cincinnati to refresh myself:

1. Took an exam. Yeah, you didn’t see that one coming did you? You know what I like? Feeling intellectual. I like to think and I like to be challenged. That’s what 9 years of education after high school will do to you. Anyway, I took two exams to become Board Certified in Public Health Microbiology. I don’t know if I passed, and if I didn’t, I’ll just take it again, but I knew a lot of answers. Being driven for so long by academic achievement, and not having truly “achieved” anything since grad school (other than landing a job), being Board Certified one day will feel darn good.

2. Attended a Public Health Lab Meeting. I always leave these things feeling SO motivated. It doesn’t usually last long, but I’m all pumped up about Public Health Science at the end. Ok, I’m a dork. See 1 above.

3. Visited the Zoo. Maybe you didn’t know that I love the zoo. Every time I go, I’m sad that I never became a zoo vet. Since there’s no going back… I try to visit the zoos of most of the cities I visit. Up until this point, the St. Louis Zoo was my favorite of all time. Cincinnati has taken the crown. All I can say is WOW. Visit this place if you have the chance. They have an entire building dedicated to insects! Never seen anything like it! I went to “Cheetah Experience” to see the Cheetahs run. Found my new favorite animal – the Red River Hog – his name is Sir Frances Bacon. Went Swimming with a Polar Bear. Watched the Chimps play.

I was truly in my element. Don’t even get me started on all of the wild children at the zoo. By my estimate, only 5-10% of children act like they’ve got any sense. And it’s really not always their fault.

4. Ate lots of Chipotle while listening to jazz in Fountain Square.

5. Took the city bus. I love the idea of public transportation. Do you know that I paid $30 to go from the hotel to the mall (round trip - 12 miles) in a taxi, but only $3.50 to go to the zoo (round trip - 8 miles) on a city bus. That’s just crazy. Cincinnati is pretty economically depressed from what I’ve seen. The people that ride the bus? Many of them are not your college educated, steady-job holding, health insurance having kinda people. I believe we should all ride the city bus once in a while to remind us that we don’t live in our own little world. That there are men, women and children out there that truly need social services. I enjoyed it.

6. Worked out. I ran on the treadmill and went for a swim. Ah….

7. Watched a PBS documentary about women in Africa who need surgery to correct fistulas that render them completely incontinent (urine and bowels). Wow. The health care we take for granted. It might have inspired me to get a nursing degree and go to Africa. (Mom, I’m not really going to do this)

What really made me smile about this show was that the woman goes home to her stick hut with a dirt floor after her surgery, she walks in, surveys the place and then says: “He didn’t even clean up. He could have sprinkled water on the dust.” Then the first thing she says to her husband (after hugging him) is: “The house is a mess! In the Lord’s name, what is wrong with you?” This is just more proof that we’re all more alike than different.

8. Drank good coffee (and ate a cupcake). Need I say more? Coffee makes me reflective.

9. Read a book – or started to. South of Broad by Pat Conroy. I’m quite sure there is NOTHING in there about microbiology. Praise the Lord!

And finally!

10. Ate dinner ALONE in a real restaurant for the first time ever. Ok, this one may seem weird, but it was very liberating! I went to PF Chang’s alone (think olive garden for Chinese food), and sat amongst tables full of families and dates and girlfriends and the like. Just sat, watched people, drank my hot tea, and ate my Pepper Steak. Just me.

So there you have it. I didn’t take a camera, so I apologize for the lack of photos. Tonight I’ll be back at home hugging K. K. (as she likes to call herself), and counting those sweet little toe-tees.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Sounds like a fun BUSINESS TRIP WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS. (: Have missed seeing you everyday---but see a lot of you in Kate. Kate says "mom-me" when every plane flies overhead. That is usually followed by "o-hi-o". "Dad-de" has done a great job while you have been gone. Some days Kate called him "Don". I am not sure who will be happier to see you-- Kate or Don.

Lisa Moore said...

I am not an only child, but I still enjoy my alone time. Not that I don't dearly love my wonderful little baby boy and my wonderful husband...but sometimes a girl just needs a little 'me' time. Nothing wrong with that! Hope that you had a safe trip back!