Wednesday, January 26, 2011

You Can't Call It “It”

Baby naming is hard. Since I'm not one of those gals who sat around dreaming of what she was going to name her children, 9 months doesn't seem like nearly enough time to decide what name our sweet boy is going to have to carry with him for the next 70 plus (hopefully) years. On top of that, I think most boy names are incredibly boring. And, having looked at what has to be more than a few thousand, we've still only settled on a handful that I like (4 to be exact). Sometimes I'm jealous of those people that hit 20 weeks, find out if they're having and boy or girl, and viola! A name. Granted, if this was a girl, we almost already had a name picked out, but I still probably wouldn't commit until close to the end. The thing is, my friends all pick fabulous names for their kids. Names I would probably read right by when browsing, so I've tried to be really impartial, considering every name out there.

I've spent a lot of time trying to find interesting names for boys. Turns out many of the great naturalists/environmentalists have pretty dull names. Same for most literary names or names of great men in US history. Biblical names? They're alright. One made our top 4. And great mountain bikers? I don't think we'll be having a Tinker or a Gary either. I ran across some great blogs, including Nameberry and You Can't Call It “It”, which are good for names that probably aren't in the top 100 of the Social Security Index. But I'm still am not convinced that Atticus, while an up-and-coming Nameberry name, is any good for our boy.

My mom pointed out the other day that we needed to find a name so we would have something to call him.. other than him (or it). So, I guess it's the least we can do to give him a pre-birth name, much like our sweet Fiona.

So, please everyone, meet little Hank.



5 comments:

Dianne said...

I had a hard time calling Kate-- "Fiona". It will be equally as difficult to say "Hank", but guess that is better than "it". Hope the two of you come up with a name soon! Love that sweet boy's first picture!

Joe, Ash, G, J, and A said...

I totally hear you on the boy names! After finding Grayson, I didn't know what we would name the second...and if we were to have a third I REALLY think we'll be up a creek! Girl names- plentiful!! :)

The Ertmanns said...

He made his 1st blog debut...how exciting! Ian & I are very pleased to meet Hank. He's already a cutie! I agree that it's difficult to find the right balance between creative and not too weird. I'm very confident you'll pick out the right name for your son. When are you due?

courtney fraylick said...

One of my friends just had a little boy and named him "Levi"....but then I thought, didn't you have a dog named Levi? So maybe that's a no go for your little one haha!

Lisa Moore said...

Hank is so handsome already!! I don't know if I ever told you how we came up with the name 'Westin'. Incidentally, coming up with the name almost required a mediator-because boy names are HARD. Because Baby Boy was being born 'In' the 'West', we decided on Westin and chose a family name 'Henry' for his middle name. Very prosaic means of coming up with a name, but it kept the peace. Good luck! You've got time.