Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Down, but not Out (yet)

I don't know if I mentioned in the last post that I could use a vacation from my vacation, or that we've been battling sickness in our house.  Well... both of these things have kind of magnified themselves in the last 4 days.  I could still use a vacation. Mostly because Don has been out of commission the past few days with what we determined today to be a herniated disc at the C6-C7 level.

Last night he couldn't take it anymore and we ended up in the ER.  This turned into an overnight stay so he could get the first MRI this morning. Voila! Diagnosis before lunch.

 This photo was taken during one of the rare moments that the pain meds were still working.


Surgery was definitely NOT the way he wanted to go, but I think the pain and loss of muscle strength in his arm (not to mention the tingly fingers) have convinced him otherwise.  This should make for an interesting beginning to our year, no?  And so, surgery Friday. Please keep Don in your prayers. 

Since Don can't lift the kids with the screwy neck, I'm in charge for most all activities that might involve lifting. So it was Mommy bathtime tonight.  Mason got this cute little octopus for Christmas. He plays music and blows bubbles.  And because Mason loves to share... ahem.... Because Kate loves for Mason to share, K has been playing with it in the tub.  Really, M did get to play with it a few times.


Apparently the bubbles we had in the cabinet are very sticky. Kate spent most of this evening trying to get them to stick to every part of her body.


And Mason? He watched from the bouncy.  He must have really been tired since he didn't try to escape.



The kids, thankfully, went to bed with relative ease, and now, the Tigers are losing miserably in the Orange Bowl. I might go to bed (and if I fall asleep, oh well). I promise I'm not a fairweather fan. Really, I'm just exhausted. And Don is recording it so if they come back from being down by 42, I won't miss a thing.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Not a good beginning to the New Year. Hopefully things will get better soon. Love those cute kids!

The Hawkins said...

Praying for you all!

WanderingGirl said...

I hope they're doing an anterior approach for his surgery.

Love the pics of bathtime!

Don Meredith said...

In through the armpit. I want a D-cup but Jenny insists that they won't look natural on me so I'll just do the traditional C6-C7 fuze. (Yes anterior)