Because “quiet time” is so hard to come by at home, I usually do mine first thing when I get to work. You know, to charge me up for the day. I thought I would share this morning’s reading from Charles Spurgeon. It very much reflects where I am. There are so many that suffer more than I can even begin to imagine. Could it be that the poor, the homeless, the downtrodden, the depressed, the sick, and the hungry are more blessed than I am?
"In my prosperity I said I shall never be moved."—Psalm 30:6.
Brother, beware of the smooth places of the way; if you are treading them, or if the way be rough, thank God for it. If God should always rock us in the cradle of prosperity; if we were always dandled on the knees of fortune; if we had not some stain on the alabaster pillar; if there were not a few clouds in the sky; if we had not some bitter drops in the wine of this life, we should become intoxicated with pleasure, we should dream "we stand;" and stand we should, but it would be upon a pinnacle; like the man asleep upon the mast, each moment we should be in jeopardy.
We bless God, then, for our afflictions; we thank Him for our changes; we extol His name for losses of property; for we feel that had He not chastened us thus, we might have become too secure. Continued worldly prosperity is a fiery trial.
"Afflictions, though they seem severe,
In mercy oft are sent."
No comments:
Post a Comment