Sunday, January 24, 2010

Full

My brain and my weekend. Both. Full. So much to think about after the last few days.

1. I love you Netflix, but I think I may have watched too many documentaries.

Food Inc. left me motivated to boycott high fructose corn syrup and eat all organic. Don said he might become a vegetarian. Granted, it is a documentary, so its pretty dramatic, but there is a lot of truth there that really made me think twice about the food I put in my body. I do like to buy organic when I can. I don't like the idea of feeding Kate food with lots of preservatives and meat with hormones and antibiotics. Did you know that cows are fed an all corn diet? Did you know that they shed most of the E. coli in their intestines if on an all grass diet for a short period of time? E. coli makes around 73,000 people sick every year and kills around 60. Seems like a no brainer to me. Good film. Big business rules. That stinks in a lot of ways.

Then today Don and I (and Kate) watched Hotel Rwanda. Not a documentary, but a "based on a true story" film about a Rawandan Hutu that risks his life to save over 1800 Rwandans (both Hutu and Tutsis). I couldn't help but walk through my house, holding my sweet child, and feel lucky that thug rebels weren't beating on our door threatening to kill us or pulling our neighbors into the streets and attacking them with machetes. I'm aware of so many things we take for granted, but death at the hands of our own citizens in a brutal civil war isn't one I think of most days. Since I don't like to get too political on this blog, I'll stop here. :)

Here's hoping that our next Netflix film is brainless.

2. Andre Bower is NOT a nice guy.

And I'm sad to say that I voted for him once, before I knew much about him (you know, before he was above the law and everything). Anyway, Andre has taken to comparing the poor to stray animals and suggesting that we stop offering free lunch and feeding the poor. Yeah, because the best way to help the poor get out of the hole they live in is to punish their children. You know, because feeding poor children nutritious meals so that they can actually get something out of school might just lead to them getting an education. Yeah, yeah, I know people live off of the system. I also support welfare reform. BUT guess what? Not that I speak from any direct experience, but being poor has got to stink, even if you are living off the system. I have no faith that Andre Bauer (who is running for Governor) would support social programs to help these people after he takes their food. It does take money, afterall, and politicians are scared to death to raise taxes $1 in this state. Sad thing is, he said it knowing that such a bold statement would get him more votes. Its easy to say you agree.. especially if, like Andre, you've never missed a meal because you couldn't afford to eat. Enough about that. Here's the link to read it. Is this guy for real? Has he been sharing Joe Wilson's Kool-Aid again?

3. Getting old isn't any fun.

My grandmother most likely has Alzheimer's. She's pretty paranoid and very, very angry at everyone around her. I've never known her to be a real ray of sunshine, but its sad to see. It is very hard on my Mom and her sisters. To see their mother held down and sedated. I've learned so much watching my parents care for their parents.

4. Teething and traveling don't mix.

A teething toddler and a 1.5 hour drive home from Charlotte is not a good thing. She did enjoy the shopping though.

Rode a lamb at PB kids.

Picked out a toddler bed.


4. We have the World's Most Patient Cat.

Cat hat hood?

Foot rest?

Cat or seat?

Truce.


How did it get to be so late? Off to bed. I'm hoping to curl up under my electric blanket and listen to thunder roll outside. And, if I get my beauty rest, perhaps there is a Not Me! Monday in our future.

No comments: