Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Something You Do NOT Like - Day 17


The topic of the day was kind of strange. Can't I just take a few minutes of my day to not focus on something I do not like?  At any rate.

Yesterday I spent the day at a Clinical Microbiology Conference in Spartanburg. One particular talk was about Group B Strep, and if you've had a baby in the last 10 years, you've likely been tested for it. If passed from their Mamas during labor, Group B Strep can cause blood infections and meningitis. Bad, bad stuff, people. The case study slide that they presented was just too darned depressing for me to even photograph, so I snapped a shot of this poor babe, who is on the page where we talked about all the reasons that you might screen negative for Group B Strep, but still pass it to your baby.  Just a reminder that healthy little babies are born every day that get an infection in the hospital and don't make it home. Sad, Sad, SAD stuff, I tell you.  So, if you were lucky enough to give birth to and take home a healthy baby, please stop right now and thank God. Not that I even need to say that to any of you Mamas, but I just did. You know, in case you are like me and get exasperated with a perfectly healthy 3 year old who refuses to (insert basic necessity here) on a daily basis.

1 comment:

Lisa Moore said...

So very sad!!!

'Safe' is always relative. I'll give Westin an extra squeeze tonight...and try not to neurotically worry about the little Webber in my belly :)